Friday, June 18, 2010

Rule Rule Rule

The other day, I went to Bogor Palace.. It's only opened for special occasions. In this case: Bogor anniversary. It is stated in the media and other sources that there are several rules about this visitation. Some of them are: no jeans and sandals, no camera, no bag, no children under 10. I totally understand the reason for those rules. After all, it's a palace with lots of artworks.

But what a disappointment! When I got there, there are children, several of them. And they're climbing a statue! And the parents are so ignorant about that because they're focused on their other baby child. Hah! What is it with Indonesian people and rules? Why can't most of them just obey them? It's for their sake too! Well, if the palace is well maintained with all of those rules, it gives a good impression for other people from other countries who visit the palace.

That's what always happened in Indonesia. Rules are just words written down for nothing. In the streets, in a queue or in public tourist places of interests. Monas, Ragunan, etc. Most of the visitors are ignorant of the rules. Throwing garbage all over the place, writing down the wall.. Errggh! I just can't stand it! I think that there should be one particular lesson in this country about obeying rules or throw garbage at garbage bin or loving your city. We should really learn from our neighbouring country Singapore. My mom went there early this year and she can't even throw an orange seed to the ground. She had to hold it until she found a garbage bin and throw it. And I think that's not a hard thing to do, isn't it? I know I know.. Most of you would say, "In those places, there isn't any garbage bin!" Well, I guess the government is not helping the situation as well.

I just hope that people who can read this blog are smart enough to know that by obeying rules, it makes our city to a better state. If you think "I'm the only one who's doing this, anyone else don't bother", please don't. Even Rome can't be built in a day. Maybe today you're the only one doing this, tomorrow your friends doing it, next week your whole family. In several years, who knows, maybe we're not different with Singapore (although I highly doubt it). Well, one can only hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment